Turquoise Jewelry Care - How to Clean Turquoise
Whether purchased or inherited, turquoise jewelry is both an investment and a heirloom. To safeguard the gem, it is important to provide proper care and storage. Without proper care, turquoise can become discolored and potentially damaged. To prevent that from happening, please read our Top Ten Tips for Turquoise Jewelry Care to help preserve, protect, and clean turquoise jewelry.
Top Ten Tips for Turquoise Jewelry Care
- Store turquoise separately from harder gemstones, as they can scratch turquoise.
- Wait to put turquoise on after applying cosmetics or perfume as these chemicals can discolor the stone.
- Protect jewelry from prolonged sun exposure and extreme temperatures.
- Remove jewelry before performing gardening, household tasks, or any strenuous activity that may result in damage from chemicals or physical stress.
- Do not use commercial jewelry cleaners or ultrasonic cleaners to clean turquoise jewelry. These can damage and discolor the stone.
- Use a soft brush and water to clean the stone. Use a soft towel to dry.
- Contrary to popular opinion, using even mild soap and other cleaning agents can damage the stone.
- Do not submerge turquoise in water, if this occurs dry using a soft towel.
- To prevent silver tarnishing, place jewelry in a sealable plastic bag. For added protection, include an anti-tarnish strip.
- To remove any tarnish that does develop, rub clean with a jewelry polishing cloth.